The story of a boy
and his drums...

They're not exactly the sizes I need and the very tall 14" needs to be cut into a 5.5 snare, a 4.25 snare and a 14x14 floor tom. So I put together this cuttin' machine:

I route a shallow groove and put a stick in it with glue and screws.

The stick fits into the groove on the table saw.

Now flipped over with the stick in the slot, I mark the top surface to drill holes for the perpendicular mounting of the rollers:

Done. Shown here with the 12" shell. For the other shells, I drill new sets of holes for one of the rollers

I'm very nervous about this. I had designed a much more complex jig, with its own built-in fences and adjustments. But I figured, why not give this a try just like this:

PERFECT! And so easy! I was very pleasantly surprised because I am usually Murphy's Law incarnate. The rollers spun freely but not loosely. There was no horizontal creep as the shell spun. I could have done it without the fence but didn't want to take to push my luck.

All trimmed and ready for edges. (now I have to go build a router table)

And from starting the jig build to cutting the last shell took about 1.5 hours

Just a footnote on some things I might not have illustrated clearly.

I don't slide the tab in the slot to push the shell into the blade. I clamp the fixture to the table saw, line up my mark with the saw blade and adjust the fence, turn on the saw and crank the blade up until it goes through the shell then start turning.

Adjusting the rollers to different sized shells is pretty easy since the rollers pop out to give top-side access to the brackets. For future projects I plan to replace the wood screws with machine screws and inserts.